Thursday, July 2, 2026

Breeder or Rescue

 


This post is not for me to say I have all the answers, but I don't. Please note I have a history, so I know what I am talking about.

I got into a heated argument online with someone about rescue dogs. She was advocating that going to a breader is better then adopting claiming that shelter dogs are traumatized. So while that is true there are that is not the case for all.

She also advocated that its easier to train a new life then an old one and from experience that is not true.

My first dog was a collie mix, he had traumas yes but he was the best dogs.My thing is no matter if you get a dog from a rescue or from a breeder they need training. Also when you look at shelters there are plenty dogs that are purebreds So then what? 

As someone that has been exposed to the rescue shelter world since 2012 and since 2022 I volunteer at local shelter I have lots of experience. 

My pup she was a street dog and she is super intellegent. My issue too and the post was talking about how we are breeding dogs while other die. I don't think thats fair. Its like saying  this person has no life so lets kill them to make room for others that do.

This is something you can't change my mind on. I will never hate or be mean to a purebred dog but I do not agree with us breeding them.

Regardless dogs need training, and yes you can't fully know their history. I.E. My pup she had a thing for men when I got her she was very scared etc. But with time she is now totally fine. She barks at them but when they pet her she is okay. I think we discount what the Lord can do but we need to give time for him to work.

I also think people want it all handed to them on a silver platter. There is no perfect dog. There are no guarantee that the dog you get from the breeder won't have issues.

I just hate when people feel they know better than those that actually work in a shelter environment, etc.

Also, I have seen over 50 dogs get adopted, and maybe only 5 had traumas, etc and even so, it was not that bad. Most of the dogs that came from other shelters were super friendly and well-behaved. I just feel frustrated with that stinking thinking.

I had a dog from a breeder; it had way more issues than the dogs I got from being on the street or from the shelter. 

Regardless where you get your pup from they need training and you need to work on it. Getting one from a breeder does not = trained.


(picture from a clinic I did in 2016)


No comments:

Post a Comment